I found a huge bags of ripe bananas at the Farmer’s Market for 99 cents. It was a bargain, so I grabbed the bananas and brought them home. That’s when I thought, “What am I going to do with all these bananas before they get over ripe and mushy?” I knew the usual ideas; smoothies, frozen banana slices, and banana pops, but I wanted something different. I found this banana cake with cream cheese frosting recipe in one of my cookbooks. I adapted it to make it gluten free and changed the frosting slightly. It was a huge hit with the entire family, although I saw my gluten free daughter sneaking pieces whenever she thought no one was looking. It’s definitely earned a place in our permanent dessert rotation!
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
This recipe sounds more complicated to make than it is! It can be mixed together in around ten minutes. If you don’t need a gluten free version, simply use all purpose flour instead of the gluten free all purpose flour. The sour cream in these bars helps to give this cake a rich moist texture.
Be sure to store these bars in the fridge (if they last that long!)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (can substitute almond extract for a different taste)
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (I used medium sized bananas)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract (if you prefer a less almond-y taste, reduce the amount of extract to 1 teaspoon.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix the butter and sugar in a large bowl until mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, the sour cream and the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gluten free (OR regular) all purpose flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to creamed mixture. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Spread the batter evenly into a greased 13" by 9" baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese, butter and almond extract until fluffy. Slowly beat in enough confectioners' sugar to your desired consistency. Frost the bars with the cream cheese frosting.
- Important: Store the bars in the refrigerator.
Important: Store the bars in the fridge!
This cake has been declared the best gluten free banana cake with cream cheese frosting by my family. Try it yourself and let us know what you think! What are your favorite uses for over ripe bananas?