When we dropped my son off for college, my husband decided to cheer me up by stopping at the Birmingham Farmer’s Market on the trip back home. He had his eye on peaches and wanted a batch of jam, but I was in the mood for apples. I’d been browsing on Pinterest, where I spend way too much time, finding ideas I don’t have time to try. I had discovered this pin for Caramel Apple Shortbread and wanted to try it for myself. The original recipe called for homemade whipped cream, shortbread, an apple mixture and caramel sauce. I was pretty sure I could simplify this recipe without sacrificing taste. It would still look and taste delicious, but I would be able to whip it up in a snap. That’s my kind of dessert!
Because I was short on time and needed a dessert in a hurry, I decided to forgo making the apple mixture from scratch and use a can of apple pie filling instead. The homemade whipped cream went out the window and I substituted canned whipped topping instead. Since I was able to purchase premade shortbread cookies and caramel sauce, four of these desserts can be made in literally ten minutes. (Note: Use a higher quality shortbread cookie for a “buttery” taste.)
Sure, I could have made everything from scratch and it would have been amazing, but it was pretty darn tasty just the way it was. Layer the ingredients in the following order; shortbread crumbs, apple pie filling, whipped topping and caramel. If you want it to be fancy, divide the ingredients and repeat layers.
- 1 can (16 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 can dairy whipped topping (usually 12 ounces)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 12 shortbread cookies, crumbled
- Add ¼ cup (each) shortbread crumbs to four parfait glasses. Top with ¼ cup apple pie filling. Top with whipped topping to your taste and 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping. If you prefer, divide the ingredients into two layers, repeating the order of shortbread crumbs, pie filling whipped topping and caramel. Top with an apple slice, if desired.
For more fun Fall projects and recipes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Easy Paleo Apple Butter Recipe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Skillet Apple Pie Roll Recipe from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Wooden Apples Craft from Mom Does it All
- Caramel Apple French Toast Strata from My So Called Balanced Life
- Fall Chopped Salad from 2boys+1girl=OneCrazyMom
- Homemade Apple Cider from This Mama Loves
- Skillet Apple Crisp from Better in Bulk
- DIY Apple Earrings from Cait’s Beauty
- Crazy Easy Salted Caramel Apple Dip Recipe from Pretty Opinionated
- Apple Stamp Craft from Mom on the Side
- Chocolate Dipped Spiced Caramel Apples from How Was Your Day?
- Homemade Crepes with Apple Butter from Our Family World
- Apple Monkey Bread Muffins from Upstate Ramblings
- How to Host a Caramel Apple Bar from MommaDJane
- DIY Glittered Sneakers from Style on Main
- Apples and Avocados from The Guavalicious Life
- Apple Pie Ice Cream from Home and Garden Cafe
- Morning Glory Muffins from Day by Day in Our World