Every year Bryan asks me what I want for Valentine’s Day and every year I say, “I don’t know.” As much as I love to go out to eat, the restaurant’s are crowded, making it a not so romantic experience. Not that it matters,because the kids usually tag along with us. This year I decided I know what I want–pampering. If you know someone in your life who would appreciate pampering, but you’re on a budget, these DIY Valentine’s Bath Fizzies are the perfect gift!
These bath fizzies only require five ingredients, most of which you can grab at the dollar store or grocery store on the cheap. You’ll need Citric Acid , Baking Soda and Corn Starch. If you want the fizzies to have a scent and color, you’ll need food coloring and essential oil in your favorite scent. I wanted a calming scent so I went with Lavender Essential Oil. One important note before you begin; get an allergy mask or something to cover your face before you begin. I wised up to this after I spent a few minutes choking on white powder.
Mix the citric acid, cornstarch and baking soda together in a large bowl. Add ten to fifteen drops of essential oil, one at a time, until you reach the amount of scent you want. Add five to ten drops of food coloring, 0ne at a time, and mix together until you reach the desired color. Now comes the hard part. Add water– a couple of drops at a time–and mix. You do not want it to be fizzy! Only add enough water to make the mixture clump together in your hand. I used approximately 10 drops of water total after mixing in the food coloring and essential oil. Clump the mixture together by hand and pack it into molds of your choice. I used molds similar to these Silicone Chocolate Hard Candy Mold
Let the molds sit on a counter overnight or for at least 12 hours. Gently push the molds to release the bath fizzies. These look wonderful packed into a small mason jar. I pushed a one dollar bath sponge into the bottom of the mold and then added bath fizzes onto the sides of the jar. If you would like to make bath fizzies, but think, “No way am I going to that much trouble,” I have a simple solution. Mix the ingredients together and don’t mold them. Place the fizzy mixture into a small mason jar and add a scoop. (I found this cute scoop at Party City for 79 cents.)
- 1 cup corn starch
- ¾ cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- 10 drops essential oil of choice
- 10 drops food coloring of choice
- Mix cornstarch,, baking soda and citric acid. Add in essential oil one drop at a time until desired scent is reached. Add food coloring, one drop at a time until desired color is reached. Add water, one drop at a time, until you can pack with your hand. Warning: Only use a few drops water! Pack into molds overnight. Remove and use.
If you’re looking for other ideas to make your Valentine’s Day a little bit more special, I’m sharing a few ideas from my favorite bloggers.
- Romantic Lavender Linen Spray from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Homemade Bath Salts from Momma D Jane
- Pomegranate Cherry Parfait from Upstate Rambling
- Chocolate Strawberry Muffins from Day by Day in Our World
- Glittered Wine Glasses from How Was Your Day?
- Sparkling Cider Etched Bottle with Love Printable by A Mom’s Take
- Valentine’s Day Breakfast Recipe by Our Family World
- DIY Heart Handwarmers by About A Mom
- Reeses Pieces Valentine Jar by This Mama Loves
- Valentine’s Day Wall Hanging by Better in Bulk
- Decadent Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Recipe from My So Called Balanced Life
- Strawberry Cream Parfait for your Cubit from 2Boys + 1Girl = One Crazy Mom
- White Chocolate Valentine Hearts from Views from the Ville
- Valentine Love Letters Craft from Philzendia
- Heart Shaped Oatmeal Dog Treats from Two Little Cavaliers
- Mason Jar Valentine’s Day Craft from Sunshine and Sippy Cups
- Valentine’s Class Parties from The Guavalicious Life
- Valentine’s DIY Cards from Libby’s Library
- Mini Meatloves for Valentine’s Day Dinner from Mom on the Side
How are you celebrating this Valentine’s Day?