Welcome back to Gluten Free Friday! If you haven’t been here before, here’s the deal: each week, we share five gluten free and allergy friendly products that we’ve recently taste-tested. Gluten and allergen free products can be pricey, so we all like to know what we’re getting into before we buy. We’ve partnered with some great brands in the gluten and allergy free world, who provided us with some samples of their products. Don’t worry though! You’re still getting our honest opinions and learning about some brands you may or may not be familiar with. Let’s get to it!
1. Glutino Glutino is one of the first brands you learn about when you go gluten free! Their products are easy to find, and they show up everywhere from grocery stores to restaurants. We buy their Chocolate Cremé cookies to make cookie balls every holiday season! If you’re looking for cake mixes, cookies, crackers, pretzels, or anything else, Glutino probably makes it. We tried their crackers for this post, which I’ve actually had before. My favorite are the Rosemary and Olive Oil! Try them with salad or with soup, or with your favorite dip or spread!
Contains: varies by product
Good for: snacking, lunches, kids, great for people new to gluten free as they have all the product replacements!
2. Udi’s Breads is another big name in the gluten free world! Udi’s makes breads, frozen products, cookies, and more. Udi’s makes a gluten free version of just about all your favorite foods, so it’s no wonder that I turned to this brand when figuring out the whole gluten free lifestyle! I’m partial to the pepperoni frozen pizza. Udi’s sent a variety of breads, which are their best known products. Udi’s bread is best toasted. Try it as a sandwich, or get creative and make croutons or French toast!
Contains: breads contain egg
Good for: kids, sandwiches, school or work lunch. If you are new to Celiac, you will be able to find Udi’s in almost all stores with a gluten free selection.
3. Nairns Crackers are known for their oatcakes, but now they’ve introduced a line of gluten free oat products into the USA! We taste-tested a variety of oat cookies, like oat grahams and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. My favorite were the oat grahams, which were the closest thing to graham crackers I’ve had since going gluten free. We used them in several recipes that usually call for graham crackers, and the recipes turned out great!
Contains: Soy, Milk
Good for: recipes, snacking, school and work lunches, s’mores (We have used them to make cheesecakes, pie crusts and more.)
4. Go Macro Bars re based on a macrobiotic diet. They’re gluten free, vegan, sustainably sourced, and they support fair trade! If you’ve been around a while, you know that fair trade is really important to me, so I was excited to see this. Another thing that stood out to me was that the boxes are biodegradable and can be used as seed starters then planted directly into the ground. How cool! I actually didn’t eat that many of the GoMacro bars, but not for lack of trying. They fit into my mom’s new diet plan, and she used them for breakfast and snacks on her business trips. Her favorite was the chocolate chip.
Contains: peanuts and nuts
Good for: on the go, work or school lunches, breakfast skippers
5. Pipernilli Cookie Mix is available in both gluten free and gluten containing varieties. Obviously, we received the gluten free version to try! To make the cookie mix, you just add banana and vegan butter. (We use Earth Balance Soy Free.) So simple! Even better, this was the first cookie that my daughter, who has multiple food allergies, could enjoy with me. She finished off an entire cookie to herself. This will definitely be a special occasion staple in our house! There is a minor rice flour taste, but that’s to be expected with most gluten free products and doesn’t detract from the overall taste or texture.
Contains: no major allergens notes
Good for: special occasions, kids, vegans
Well, that’s all we have for you today! Be sure to check back next week to see what new Gluten Free and allergy friendly products we’re sampling. Which product from today’s list are you most looking forward to trying?
You can see the previous Gluten Free Fridays posts here:
Gluten Free Fridays 1
Gluten Free Fridays 2
Gluten Free Fridays 3
Gluten Free Fridays 4
Gluten Free Fridays 5
Gluten Free Fridays 6
Gluten Free Fridays 7
Gluten Free Fridays 8
And don’t forget to check out our selection of Gluten Free recipes.