One of the things I missed when I had to start cooking Gluten Free was how it messed up all my quick and simple meals. No longer could I make a quick pizza or make a pot of spaghetti, unless I wanted to hunt down a bunch of gluten free flour or pasta or other (read: expensive) ingredients. I happened across this chili recipe while browsing magazines in a doctor’s waiting room and thought, “How simple is this? Only three ingredients? Not much prep time? I’m sold.” It was harder to convince my son, who doesn’t like beans, but once he tried it, he said, “This is actually good.” If you don’t want to make this in the crock pot I’m giving instructions on how to make it on the stovetop too. Either way, it’s quick, it’s easy and it tastes good. I keep the ingredients on hand at all times now for a quick go to meal when I am tired or don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
- 1½ pounds (24 ounces) hamburger meat
- 2 (24 ounce) cans chunky salsa (I used medium heat)
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, rinsed
- optional: fat free sour cream and lowfat shredded cheese
- Brown hamburger meat in a skillet; drain. Add meat, salsa and beans to a crock pot and cook on low for four hours. Serve with sour cream and cheese, if desired.
- Stovetop method: Brown hamburger meat in a large saucepan. Drain. Add salsa and beans to saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.
What is your favorite crock pot recipe?