Easter is coming up this Sunday and, as usual, I needed to make cupcakes. I wanted something easy, think semi-homemade, and fitting with the season. While shopping at Aldi I passed a bag of mini marshmallows and remembered those chocolate marshmallow bunnies I used to devour every Easter. I adapted a Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcake recipe (to make it easier) and added a creamy, albeit very sticky, marshmallow frosting. It’s the best of both worlds!
Instructions & Tips
I made my cupcakes by using a boxed chocolate cake mix, prepared as directed on the package, with the addition of some sour cream and vanilla flavoring. I always add sour cream to boxed mixes because it makes the cupcakes moist. Tip: Substitute a gluten free boxed chocolate cake mix to make it gluten free.
I baked the cupcakes as directed on the package. As soon as I removed them from the oven, I cut a small hole out of the top and added four to six mini marshmallows per cupcake. TIP: Be sure to do this as soon as possible to allow the marshmallows to melt. You can use a special cupcake corer or a small spoon to make the hole in the cupcake.
I made a marshmallow creme ganache topping using marshmallow creme, vanilla, powdered sugar and a small amount of heaving whipping cream. You can also use milk if you prefer.
Once the cupcakes were cooled completely I spread approximately one to two tablespoons of frosting on each cupcake. To make the cupcakes Easter ready, I added marshmallow bunnies to the top, but they’re just as good without them.
- 1 box Baker's Choice Chocolate Cake Mix, prepared as directed on package
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups Baker's Choice mini marshmallows
- 1 cup Baker's Choice marshmallow creme
- 3 tablespoons cream OR milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding eggs, oil and water. Blend in sour cream and vanilla. Pour into cupcake liners and bake as directed on package. When done, remove from oven and immediately cut small holes in the top of each cupcake. Add four to six marshmallows into each hole and replace removed chocolate cake on top of the marshmallows. Allow to cool completely.
- For Frosting:
- Add Marshmallow Creme, vanilla and powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Add the milk or cream and stir until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add another tablespoon milk or cream. Spread 1 tablespoon frosting onto each cupcake. Top as desired.
What are your favorite dishes to make at Easter?