I had a craving for sweets one day and began digging through cookbooks for inspiration. I found a recipe for salted nut squares and decided to try them. The original recipe quickly went haywire. I realized I didn’t have any plain peanuts, so I substituted cashews. Then I mixed the bars incorrectly, realizing I forgot an ingredient. Then, I decided they needed chocolate. But, surprise, my revamped Chocolate Salted Nut Bars Candy Recipe still turned out tasting delicious! It’s naturally gluten free and is no bake with minimal prep time. Easy and tasty? That’s my kind of recipe!
Chocolate Salted Nut Bars Candy Recipe
The original recipe used peanuts, but I had cashews. You could easily use either peanuts, cashews or almonds in these bars. If you’re feeling adventurous, mix all three together! I used chopped milk chocolate bars for the chocolate, but you could easily be adventurous with this; try M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, Peanut Butter Cups or chocolate bars with almonds.
To make cleanup easier, place waxed paper in the bottom of the 11″ by 7″ baking dish before preparing the bars. While prep time is minimal, the bars do need time to set in the fridge until chilled, so prepare ahead if you are making these for a party.
- 3 cups salted peanuts OR cashews OR Almonds (or a mixture of all three)
- 2½ tablespoons butter
- 2 cups peanut butter chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (1.5 ounce each) chocolate candy bars, broken into pieces
- Line an 11x7 inch pan with waxed paper. Melt butter and peanut butter chips over low heat in a large saucepan. Stir mixture until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in milk. Place ½ of the nuts on the bottom of the pan. Pour milk mixture over the nuts. Top with the remaining nuts. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over top of nuts. Top marshmallows with chocolate pieces. Store in the refrigerator until chillded. Cut in pieces and serve.
What is your favorite no bake dessert recipe?