I could not wait to become an adult. My reasoning? I can do whatever I want. To be honest, I really like that part of being an adult. But, with great freedom comes great responsibility. Let’s face it. Adulting has some downsides. Cleaning, chores and paying bills are some not so fun parts. Add in commuting, taking care of the kids, and cooking and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. If you don’t have time for deep cleaning, don’t worry! I have some easy speed cleaning tips to make your life easier. Your house will look clean without a lot of extra stress. Remember the saying Fake it ‘Til You Make It? It’s like that, but with cleaning.
Easy Speed Cleaning Tips
1. Keep a Large Basket to Store Out of Place Items. If your family room is like mine, by the end of the day it’s filled with items that shouldn’t be there. Keep a basket nearby to contain the clutter. At the end of the day, gather up everything that is out of place, add it to the basket and return it to its proper spot. Even better, challenge the kids to have a race to see who can pick up the most items and add them to the basket. *This strategy does work better on younger kids.
2. Keep All Cleaning Supplies in One Place.You’re ready to clean and discover the cleaner you need is in another room. While you’re in that room, you discover something you need to do. By the time you get back to where you started, you find you need a different type of cleaner or paper towels for another chore. It’s a vicious cycle. Instead, save time by placing all the cleaners and small supplies you need in one tote basket. It’s easy to move through the house and you won’t be distracted by other things–maybe.
3. Make a Checklist of Items To Clean Each Day.By doing a few chores every day, you’ll save time in the long run with less deep cleaning. Plus, it makes the house look clean, always a bonus in case the in-laws drop by unexpectedly. Some easy suggestions? Make the bed, wipe down the bathroom and kitchen counters, and place the dishes in the dishwasher.
4. Spot Clean Spills When they Happen.Spills happen. Especially at my house, where I believe the cats and the baby compete to see who can spill the most. Keep paper towels (or cleaning clothes) and all-purpose cleaner handy and wipe up the spills as soon as possible. It’s much easier to remove stains when they’re still wet. And those sticky spills? It’s no fun to clean when they’ve dried and you find yourself sticking to the floor or scrapping off a coat of crud. A fresh spill that takes 30 seconds to clean can easily take 5 minutes when it’s dried. And wouldn’t you rather spend that extra 4 minutes and 30 seconds doing something fun?
5. Invest in a Wax Warmer. Seriously, what is it about great smelling houses that allow people to overlook the clutter? I invested in a wax warmer and a few scented wax melts in comforting flavors, like sugar cookie or vanilla cream. When I know someone is coming to visit (or if someone drops by unexpectedly), I turn on my wax warmer. It covers any smell I might have missed, like stinky shoes someone has left out or cat litter. The first thing people say when they walk in the house is, “Wow! Something smells good!” Although, now that I think about it, this could be disappointing if they think I’ve made special treats for their visit. No matter. The house still smells good.
6.Use the Proper Cleaning Tools. I have a few tools I swear by. My favorite is my collection of Swiffer products. I even have a Swiffer with my name on it. Yes, seriously! I use my Swiffer Sweeper every day to keep my floor clean. My Swiffer WetJet is great for my weekly deep clean and for spot cleaning all those spills I talked about earlier. I also have a supply of dusters. Pro tip: Just because there is some dust on the duster, you don’t have to discard it until it is completely cover. And, you can keep one in the car for quick clean ups too.
7. Put on Some Music.Cleaning is much more fun if you have a “Cleaning Playlist.” You can even add some dance moves when you’re Swiffering. (Or at least I do. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve surprised the UPS person when he peeks in the glass door with my song and dance routine. They’ve been variously amused or astounded, depending on who drops off a package. So, not only did I make cleaning more fun, I’ve also either amused or horrified someone else. 😉
Did you Swiffer is now an adult? Swiffer swept the nation by storm in 1999 and this year the brand is celebrating its 18th birthday. Now that Swiffer is an adult, it is on a mission to show consumers that while #adulting is hard, Swiffer makes it easy! On Thursday, March 16, Swiffer teamed up with “Dancing with the Stars” favorite, Maksim Chmerkovskiy and #adulting expert, Kelly Williams Brown to celebrate Swiffer’s 18th birthday with a special appearance by Hannah Simone from “New Girl”! The birthday bash taught guests how Swiffer, now an “adult” itself, can help you nail those key #adulting moments – like dancing your way to a quick, clean home!
Want to celebrate Swiffer’s 18th birthday? You can win a Big Green Box just like you see in the commercials! Just enter below.