It’s Gluten Free Friday, and you’ll be excited to know that we’ve got some fun fall food in the round up this week! For those of you who are new to the blog, Gluten Free Friday is a series bringing you the latest and greatest in Gluten Free Foods. I’ve been diagnosed with celiac for over five years now, and in that time, gluten free food has come a long way. However, there are still hits and misses! That’s why we try these foods before sharing them with you! Although we do receive product from companies in exchange for our opinion, we only share our honest thoughts about each product. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Gluten Free Goodies
1. Enjoy Life Soft Baked Gingerbread Spice Cookies- Enjoy Life is a staple brand in our house. They’re free of the top 8 allergens and gluten as well as several others. Since my daughter has food allergies, having snacks that both of us can eat is….rare. We received a box of their Gingerbread Spice soft-baked cookies to try. We regularly buy their chocolate chip cookies, so the Gingerbread Spice ones sounded like a fun seasonal treat. How were they? Good— but don’t ask me, ask the toddler who took a bite out of every single cookie to claim them as her own. Since Critter rarely gets sweets, she’s pretty picky about the sweets she does eat. These get two tiny thumbs up.
2. L.R. Rice Honey is an American company providing high quality, unfiltered raw honey. When I was younger, my allergist suggested using local honey because it could possibly help my allergies. I don’t know if it does or if it’s the placebo effect, but I’ve used local honey ever since. Rice’s Honey produces local blends for various parts of the USA. We received the Local Southeast blend! We also received the Wildflower blend. I like to use wildflower honey in my tea, and this one is perfect for that.
3. Alter Ego Salted Caramel Truffles is a company that is committed to sustainability, and goes beyond fair trade. These are things I look for when I’m choosing food! If that’s not one of your main concerns, don’t worry. They still offer variety and flavor! From quinoa to chocolate, Alter Eco seems to do everything right. We tried the salted caramel chocolate truffles, and we might have eaten them all in one sitting. It’s a balanced diet if you have a truffle in each hand! This wasn’t our first experience with Alter Eco, though. Their chocolate makes it into our stockings every single year. I haven’t put their rice or quinoa in a stocking yet, but it’s really not a bad idea.
4. Bare Snacks Pie Spice Apple Chips -Bare Snacks has been a staple in our household for a while now. Critter likes the apple chips, and I like to sprinkle the coconut chips onto my smoothies and smoothie bowls. When we received their new flavor Pie Spice Apple Chips, I knew right away that my daughter would love these. Apple chips sprinkled with apple pie spices, these definitely taste like fall! They’re great as a snack or on top of a seasonal smoothie. Try them on yogurt, too!
5. Popcorners Chips are a cross between popcorn and tortilla chips. Sounds crazy, right? It is! Crazy good, that is. Last time we had PopCorners in the house, several flavors mysteriously made their way back to college with my little brother. He’s not even gluten free! With flavors like Cinema Style and White Cheddar as well as Kettle Corn, there’s a PopCorner for every flavor lover. My favorite is the cinema style. It reminds me of movie theatre popcorn, but it’s way easier to eat!
6. Hearthly Foods Apple, Banana, and Yam Flours-produces specialty flours. What’s a gluten free recipe without 26 flours? Awful, that’s what! With Hearthy Foods, you can make any recipe you wanted to…and then some. With flours ranging from kale to kabocha to the ones we received (apple, yam, and banana, Hearthy Foods has something for every palate. If you’re an adventurous cook, like me, try using pumpkin flour to make pumpkin pancakes! If you’re a more traditional chef, don’t worry. They have almond meal for things like macarons! Hearthy Foods also offers premade pie crusts, pies, and mixes. I’ve been experimenting with different flours lately, so Hearthy Foods is definitely going to become a go-to site.
7. Hummus Chick is a company surprisingly local to us, based only two hours away in Nashville, Tennessee. Don’t let the name fool you, there’s more than just hummus! Although you could use all three spices (Shiraz, Herbs De Provence, and Marrakech) to make some killer hummus, these are classic spice blends with a lot of flavor. I’ve always been a fan of Persian spices, thanks to a friend with Persian heritage, so the Shiraz blend caught my eye immediately. However, this summer I fell in love with Herbs De Provence, especially sprinkled on some roasted Brussels sprouts. No matter which Hummus Chick spice you pick up, you’re making the right decision.
That’s all we have for you on this Gluten Free Friday! Be sure to check back regularly to see what new gluten free foods we’ve been trying. Which of these products are you most excited about?