Who can forget the taste of fresh fruit or veggies picked straight from the vine? Summer means it’s time for “Pick Your Own” Season. There is a multitude of farms around the state offering everything from “pick your own” strawberries, to blueberries to peaches and more. I didn’t want to miss a chance to try some of the fresh fruit on our table so when I purchased two pints of blueberries, I was ready to start cooking. I had the usual options; blueberry muffins and blueberry bread, but I wanted something a little different. Then, I found a Blueberry Crisp recipe in our local newspaper. Bingo! I decided to switch up the recipe to make it gluten-free and dairy-free, and changed some of the ingredients, and the result was amazing. No one could tell it was missing the gluten and dairy!
Homemade Blueberry Crisp Recipe
If you don’t need an allergy friendly version, use regular flour and butter. If you need allergy friendly “butter” that tastes decent, we use Earth Balance SoyFree Buttery Spread. It doesn’t contain any soy or dairy and the baby is allergic to both ingredients. For gluten free flour, I use 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour so I don’t have to add extra ingredients like Xantham Gum. I also like a version with plenty of crust, if you prefer less crust, simply half the recipe.
- For Crisp
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (or vegan substitute)
- 1 pint (16 ounces) blueberries, washed and drained
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon regular OR gluten-free flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon (can use up to one teaspoon, according to taste)
- For Topping
- 1½ cups regular OR gluten free flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (or vegan substitute), melted
- Optional: whipped cream or ice cream
- Mix sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon together. Add blueberries. Stir until well mixed. Spread blueberries across the bottom of a 8" by 8" casserole dish.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter until mixture resembles crumbs Sprinkle crumbs over top of blueberries.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes until blueberries are bubbly and the crust is a golden brown color.
This is also good topped with whipped cream or ice cream for a classic treat. (Coconut whipped cream or coconut ice cream can be substituted.) You could use this as a classic 4th of July recipe too!