What to do with broken flower pots? I was pondering this question recently after taking a look in my shed. Bryan has a habit of tossing his tools into the shed when he is finished, leaving me with chipped and cracked pots, among other things. (Actual phrase I never thought I would use, “You threw something on top of Santa and beheaded him!”) Since I have not learned my lesson on moving breakables out of the way of his tools, I decided to put the pots to use in a succulent container garden.
What You Need To Make Your Succulent Container
I started with a medium sized bowl, which in fairness to Bryan, had gotten broken while sitting outside in a flower garden during a storm. I wanted my bowl to have an overflowing look so I purchased four succulents for fillers. Hint: Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase succulents in larger quantities. This was no problem as I had several broken pots.
To make the succulent pots, I started working from the bottom. I removed my succulent from its pot, spread out the roots and added it to the bottom of the pot. I covered the succulent with a piece of broken pottery and added another succulent to the pot, arranging them until I found a pattern I liked. I knew I wanted my succulent planters to be lying on their sides so it helps to determine their final resting position before adding the succulents.
Succulent Care Tips: Don’t over water the plants or the roots will rot. Gently add water to the top of the pot and allow it to trickle down. If you are wondering where to buy succulents, they can be found at nurseries, most big chain stores, and home improvement and hardware stores. They are prolific spreaders so if you have a friend with succulents, see if they have any to give away.
I was so pleased with my broken pot garden I dug two more pots out of the shed and filled them with succulents too! I think I’ve started a mini succulent trend in my yard. What are your favorite tips for using those broken pots?
You might like these Outdoor Gardening Posts:
How to Make an Upcycled Solar Lamp
DIY Solar Lamp
DIy Upcycled Plant Markers
DIY All Natural Mosquito Repellent Wipes
For more spring posts, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- How to Make Easy Pickled Asparagus by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Strawberry Lemonade Mojito Mocktail by How Was Your Day?
- Lemon Cheesecake Crumble Bars by Day by Day in Our World
- Butterfly Sun Catcher Craft by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Easy Strawberry Cream Pie by Mom Does It All
- Bird Nest Brownie Bowls Recipe by Sugar Spice and Family Life
- Vegan Rice Krispie Treat Tiger Lillies by Beyond Mommying
- Coffee Filter Butterfly Accessories by Mommy Snippets
- Spring Paper Butterflies Craft by Family Focus Blog
- Pineapple Kiwi Smoothie Bowl by Upstate Ramblings
- DIY Flower Loop Hair Bow Tutorial by Savvy Saving Couple