We all know how hard it is to keep your family entertained on road trips. There are only so many times of hearing, “Are we there yet?” before you want to turn up the radio and drown them out. And they still persist. We’ve spent a lot of time on the road over the years and we have used our share of car trip games to keep the kids entertained. Here are some of our favorite car trip games to keep the kids occupied.
Kid Friendly Car Games For Road Trips
1. The License Plate Game. Let’s face it, this is a classic. Everyone has played the license plate game. It’s a simple game of writing down the license plates you see and hoping to find all 50 before the end of the trip. But why not up the ante? Add some bribes prizes to the game. These prizes don’t have to be actual items, just things to make the car trip more enjoyable. Consider trying these:
• Guess how many different state license plates we’ll see by lunchtime…the winner picks the restaurant.
• Guess how many different state license plates we’ll see by dinnertime…the winner picks the restaurant.
• Guess how many different state license plates we’ll see in an hour…the winner controls the radio for 2 hours. (Note: Only do this if you can stand your kids choice of music for two hours. )
• Guess how many different state license plates we’ll see by the next stop…the winner chooses their seat in the car (hooray…no more middle seat or calling shotgun!)
2.The Alphabet Game… There are a couple of different versions we use on trips, depending on the ages of the children.
Version 1. The first person says a word, the second person says a word that begins with the last letter of the previous word and so on. For example, I say “tomato,” and you say “ostrich,” I say “happy,” and you say “yes.”
Version 2. The first person says a word that begins with “a”, the second person says a word that begins with “b.” This continues through the entire alphabet.
Version 3. This is played the same as version 2, but instead add categories, like animals, fruit, food, etc. We don’t try for winners in this game. We help each other out!
Version 4. Find the letters of the alphabet on billboards and signs. First person has to find a sign with a, the second finds a sign with b. Continue through the alphabet. (You might have to skip q and z.)
3 Scavenger Hunt Before the trip, make a list of items that you hope to see on the road trip. This game can be played exactly like the license plate game. Suggested items: A bale of hay, a port-a-potty, an antique car, an airplane, a train, a horse, a cow, a broken down car, a police car, an ambulance, billboard in a foreign language, person talking on a cell phone, dirt road, tractor, barn, airport runway, church.
4. Guess How Many Everybody guesses a car color. Then count the next 10 cars that pass you. The person that guessed the color of car number 10 wins. Or try it with the person who had the most cars with the colors he chose wins.
What are your favorite car games for road trips?