The guys in my family are huge superheroes fans. When we plan a movie night they always try to sneak in an action adventure flick over a chick film. Naturally, the upcoming release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier sparked excitement in our home. I knew we would be watching this movie soon, so I decided to celebrate with an Avengers movie night with a Captain America cake as the star of the show. Yes, I know we could have watched Captain America: The First Avenger, but who doesn’t like to see Thor accompany him?
I was debating on how to make the decorations on the cake when I passed by the candy aisle at Walmart and saw packages of M&Ms. Not only could I use the red and blue M&Ms on the cake, we could snack on the other colors. Score! I wanted to make the cake gluten free so my daughter with Celiac could enjoy it too. To make a gluten free cake I would have had to use tons of different flours, so I decided to purchase a gluten free cake mix and jazz it up with extra ingredients. Here’s what you need to make it:
To make the white chocolate cake I used a packaged mix and add ed milk, sour cream, butter, vanilla and almond extract. After mixing, I added a cup of white chocolate chips. To change up the recipe you could add chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter chips or toffee pieces. While the cake was baking, I made a butter cream and M&M filling using powdered sugar, butter, almond extract and cream. After mixing the filling I added a cup of crushed M&Ms. You can use any color of M&Ms for this.
I wanted a smooth top and sides for my cake, so I used fondant, but you could use the frosting of your choice. I rolled out the fondant and spread it over the cake then made a white fondant star for the cake and a fondant circle. (The easiest way to do this is using a small amount of blue food coloring for the fondant circle and cookie cutters.)
Position the blue circle in the middle of the cake and add the white star to the top. Surround the blue circle with a row of blue M&Ms and then a row of red M&Ms. Add a row of red M&Ms to the outer edge of the cake and a row of blue M&Ms around the bottom of the cake. Tip: These will stay attached to the cake if you use a dot of decorator icing to hold each M&M in place.
- 1 box Gluten Free Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup EACH: sour cream & milk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon EACH: vanilla and almond extract
- For Filling:
- 1 cup M&Ms, chopped
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons cream
- For topping:
- 1 pound fondant
- blue food coloring
- Red & blue M&Ms
- 1 tube of clear or white decorator icing
- To Make Cake:
- Blend the cake mix, sour cream, butter, milk and extracts together until well mixed. Add the white chocolate chips and stir. Pour the batter into two greased cake pans and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- To make filling:
- Mix the powdered sugar, butter and extract together in a large bowl. Add cream and blend well. Add chopped M&Ms and spread on top of cooled layer of cake.
- Top with the second cake layer.
- To create the cake:
- Roll fondant into a circle. I used a round pizza tray to do this. Invert fondant over cake. Using a small amount of blue food coloring, tint ¼ cup of fondant. Roll fondant out and use a circle cookie cutter to cut a circle. Add to the center of cake. Roll out a small piece of white fondant and, using a star shaped cookie cutter, cut out a star. Place in the center of the circle.
- Surround the circle with blue M&Ms attached with a dot of decorator icing. Surround the circle of blue M&Ms with a circle of red M&Ms. Add a circle of red M&Ms around the outside edge of the cake and a row of blue M&Ms around the bottom.
Ready to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier when it arrives on DVD September 9th? If you are, get your $5 off coupon here! What is your favorite M&Ms recipe?
a Rafflecopter giveaway