It’s officially Fall! My mind is getting in gear for Fall and Halloween crafts. Who cares if it’s still in the eighties at my house? When I talk about crafts I mean “easy Halloween crafts.” Let’s face it, most of us want something quick and fun to do with the kids. Complicated projects have to wait. I read a post on Facebook discussing the joys of popcorn. I thought, “Hey! I like popcorn! What can I do?” I created these simple popcorn witches from mason jars so I could have my popcorn and eat it too! These cute little decorations would be great for parties. Use them as decorations and later give them as party favors. (If you want to share.)Best of all they’re quick to make, coming together in a few minutes.
How to Make Popcorn Witches
What you need for the popcorn:
1 bag of microwave popcorn
green candy melts OR
white chocolate and green food paste or coloring
What You need for the “witches”
4 mason jars
orange, black and white craft paint (I use the washable kind so it can be removed later)
8 wiggly eyes
mini witches hats (I found mine at Michaels)
Directions to Make the Popcorn:
Step 1: Pop one bag of microwave popcorn as directed on package. Remove unpopped kernels.
Step 2: Melt green candy coating (or white chocolate) in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for 15 more seconds if not melted.
Note: If using white chocolate, add a few drops of green food coloring or paste and mix until desired color is reached.
Directions to Make the Witches:
Step 1: On a clean, COMPLETELY DRY mason jar, paint a black semi-circle for a mouth near the bottom of the jar.
Step 2: Paint an orange triangle onto the jar above the black semi-circle. Allow to dry.
Step 3: Glue 2 wiggly eyes on each mason jar above the orange nose. (I found it was easier to use a hot glue gun.)
Step 4: Paint 2 to 3 white squares in the black semi-circle for teeth.
Step 5: Fill with the green popcorn. Fasten lid on mason jar.
Step 6: Cut desired amount of orange yarn (I used about 18 inches per witch.) Glue ribbon into place on lid of mason jar.
Step 7: Glue witches hat onto lid.
- 1 bag of microwave popcorn, popped
- 6 ounces of Green candy melts, melted
- 3 pint mason jars
- orange, black and white paint
- paint brush
- orange yarn
- 6 wiggly eyes
- witches hats
- hot glue or glue stick
- Mix the bag of popcorn with the candy melts. Stir until coated. Set aside and let harden. Meanwhile < paint a black semicircle two to three inches from the bottom of the mason jar. Directly above this, paint an orange triangle for a nose. Glue wiggly eyes above the nose. Let dry. When paint is dry, add two white triangles to each black semicircle for teeth.
- Add green colored popcorn into the jars and place seal on top. Add 18 to 24 inches orange yarn over the top of the seal. Place ring on top of this and tighten. Hot glue witches hat on top of ring.
Tip: If you are crafty, you can make the witches hats yourself from a piece of felt. I decided I was not crafty enough to do this and purchased a garland of six witches hats from Michaels for $3.99.
These popcorn witches turned out so cute and are always a hit at parties. What are you making for Halloween crafts?