When my son was home from college for a couple of weeks, he asked me if he could prepare some meals and desserts. Naturally, I was all over this plan. Someone else doing the cooking? Sure! Because there are so many food allergies in our family, he tried to find a dessert that everyone could eat. He came up with this Lemon Granita Recipe. This recipe reminds me of Luigi’s Frozen Lemon Ices or a copycat recipe of Frozen Lemonade. It’s the perfect treat to keep in the freezer for a hot summer day!
We adapted the recipe to make it tarter, but if you prefer a sweeter taste, you can decrease the amount of lemon juice and lemon peel used. This is a great recipe for anyone with dairy allergies, but it is also free of all top 8 allergens and gluten-free too! This is a no-churn recipe, but you’ll need to plan ahead for freezing time.
Did I mention this recipe only needs three ingredients? All you’ll need is lemons, sugar, and water. This would also be good using limes. Be sure to purchase larger sized lemons for the recipe. You can substitute bottled lemon juice if you like, but the taste will not be as “fresh” if you use real lemons.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) EACH granulated sugar and water
- 2 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (use about two medium to large sized lemons. Remove the seeds from the juice. (adjust to the amount of tartness you prefer)
- ½ tablespoon to 1 tablespoon fresh lemon peel (adjust to amount of tartness you prefer)
- Mix sugar and water in a saucepan, set over medium heat, until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. (This should take about 10 minutes)
- Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Pour into a freezer safe bowl. Cover tightly. Allow the mixture to freeze for 4 hours or until solid.
- Remove dish from the freezer. Dip the bottom of the pan quickly in warm water.
- Remove the ice mixture from the dish and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse for 30 seconds to one minute or until mixture is broken into small pieces. Serve immediately.
What are your favorite summertime recipes?
You might like:
Salted Caramel Ice Cream Recipe