It’s fresh blueberry season and our fridge is teeming with them. I just can’t resist then during the one season of the year I can eat all of them I want. Of course, there’s still the thought of “What should I make with all these blueberries?” I’ve made Black and Blueberry Jam and my favorite Homemade Blueberry Crisp recipe, but I wanted something new. I found a recipe for blueberry shortbread and adapted it to make Blueberry Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars. And Y’all. Y’all. These things are scrumptious! My family and extended family are always thrilled when I make a dessert because I eat a few bites and then give the rest to them. This time? I kept “taste testing” this at different times with my two bite rule. Would it be good warm? Yes. Would it be good cold? Yes. Would it be good for a snack? Yes. Would it be good just because? Yes.
While I love my traditional recipe, but I have made adaptions for gluten-free so my daughter could eat it and dairy-free so the baby can have a bite too. Really, how many food allergies can one family have? No matter how I made it the entire family loved i. That’s a cooking win.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars Recipe
These bars are so simple to make! The prep time is minimal and they are delicious served hot or cold. For best results wash and drain the blueberries and then gently pat them dry. Wet mushy blueberries just add extra moisture to the batter that doesn’t need to be there. It took me a while to find a substitute for cream cheese. You can use plain cashew nut cheese or if you are not allergic to soy, vegan cream cheese. I’ll be honest and say my favorite version is with the real cream cheese.
- Crust & Topping
- ½ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour OR gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 pint (16 ounces) blueberries
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- For Dairy Free: Substitute 1 (8 ounces) container cashew nut cheese OR Vegan cream cheese
- For Vegan: use the recommended dairy free cheese and replace sugar with vegan sugar
- To Make Crust:
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and brown sugar until blended. Blend in butter and almond extract until mixture resembles small crumbs. Set aside.
- To Make Filling:
- Mix sugar, extract and cream cheese until blended. Add in blueberries and mix well.
- In a 8" by 8" baking dish, spread ½ the flour mixture across the bottom of a baking dish. Press down firmly. Bake at 350 for 5-8 minutes until crust is lightly browned.
- Add filling to top of crust and top with the remaining crumb topping. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer or until crust is lightly browned and filling is set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut into bars. Store leftovers in the fridge.
Be sure to store the bars in the fridge- if you have leftovers!
What is your favorite summer blueberry recipe?
You might like these recipes:
Raspberry Lemon Gooey Butter Bars