This is a sponsored post, but all opinions are my own.
If you are like me, the holidays are the busiest time of the year. It seems like I am always rushing from one activity to another. Combine that with frequent dinner guests who have special diets and food allergies and I have a recipe for disaster. Sorry, couldn’t resist throwing in the cooking pun. One thing I’ve learned over the years is to keep a few boxes of pasta on hand. Let’s face it, how many kids turn down pasta? It’s such a versatile dish. I can dress it up to impress dinner guests or serve it in a fun kid’s recipe.
This Mediterranean Style Pasta Recipe is a hit in my kitchen because it’s easy enough for a weeknight meal, but fancy enough to serve guests. I serve it with a side of salad and thin slices of French baguettes. It tastes just like a dish from our favorite Italian restaurant and it’s vegetarian. That means I can serve one dish to all my guests and they will all enjoy it. Score! Bonus points to me for making dinner easier for myself.
We found all the ingredients we needed for our dish at Walmart.
Mediterranean Style Pasta Recipe
I like to use green olives in my recipe, but this dish tastes good with black olives too if you prefer those. I prefer a tube-shaped pasta to catch and hold the sauce and veggies so I use Barilla Ziti. Penne is also a good choice. Pasta for this recipe should be al dente so be sure not to overcook the pasta. My solution for this is add pasta to boiling water and then cook for 7-9 minutes. I drain the pasta return it to the pan until ready to use.
- 8 ounces Barilla Ziti, cooked and drained
- ½ cup (4 ounces) green olives, sliced
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces) grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup onion (8 ounces), diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup (8 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces) Barilla Traditional Pasta Sauce
- ½ cup (4 ounces) Galbani Mozarella Cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta in large saucepan. Drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking, add olive oil to large skillet. Add garlic, mushrooms, and onion to skillet. Cook on high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, or until ingredients are light brown. Remove from heat. Combine onion mixture, tomatoes, and green olives in large serving bowl. Add pasta and toss lightly to coat. Serve immediately. Top portions with shredded mozzarella cheese.
This recipe can easily be doubled. Want to create this dish for yourself? Now there’s an Ibotta offer that allows you to earn $2 when you purchase Barilla Pasta/Sauce and Galbani Cheese. We used Galbani Mozzarella in our recipe because it doesn’t have additives like cellulose, potato starch or other anti-clumping agents. With 130 years of Italian craftsmanship behind it, no wonder it is the number one Chunk Mozzarella Brand in the USA.
Do you have a favorite go-to pasta dish you serve during the holidays?